Demential & Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's Society

The Alzheimer's Society is a support charity and helpline providing information, advice, guidance and support to anyone worried or affected by Dementia.

Tel: 0333 150 3456

Website: www.alzheimers.org.uk

Age Concern Cowplain

The Age Concern Borrow Centre at Cowplain aims to support the older people in the community, providing a friendly environment to help prevent social isolation and actively promote wellbeing and independence. Offering a range of activities and services including: Lunch Club, Memory Cafe, basic IT, keep fit, Mature Movers, table tennis, podiatry, manicurist, Macular Group, carers support group and a befriending service.

Tel: 023 9226 6423

Email: manager@ageconcerncowplain.org.uk

Website: www.ageconcerncowplain.org.uk

Age Concern Hampshire

Age Concern Hampshire is an independent charity working across the county to promote independent living to older people (over-50s), tackling loneliness and social isolation.

Tel: 01962 868545

Email: enquiries@ageconcernhampshire.org.uk

Website: www.ageconcernhampshire.org.uk

Alzheimer Café UK

An Alzheimer Cafe (AC) is an informal gathering of people affected by and/or interested in learning about dementia. The monthly gatherings are for the purpose of education, discussion and the exchanging of information about Dementia but also opportunities to socialise and meet others.

Tel: 07938 175002

Email: alzheimercafe@hotmail.co.uk

Website: alzheimercafe.co.uk

Andover Mind - Mental health and Dementia support

Andover Mind is a local mental health charity offering mental health support, information, advice. Services include:

  • Aldershot Safe Haven and North and Mid-Hampshire Safe Haven - offering support to those in a crisis in a calm, safe and confidential space.
  • Carer support service
  • Dementia advice service
  • Counselling
  • Wellbeing centres

Tel: 0300 5000 907 (Advice Line)

Tel: 01264 332297 (Dementia advice)

Email: enquiries@andovermind.org.uk

Website: www.andovermind.org.uk

AskSara (CarersUK version)

Impartial advice about equipment to make daily living easier. This version is suitable for carers AND for those needing care.

Tel: 0300 999 0004

Email: info@dlf.org.uk

Website: asksara.livingmadeeasy.org.uk

Creative Mojo - Chichester & Havant

Creative Mojo provides art activities for older people and adults with learning and physical disabilities and mental health issues. We also specialise in creating bespoke classes for people with dementia.

Tel: 07539 225144

Email: kym@creativemojo.co.uk

Website: creativemojo.com

Dementia Friendly Hampshire

We want Hampshire to be a county where people affected by dementia can live a good life, with opportunities to participate in and contribute to their communities and be valued for who they are.

Tel: 07557 653229

Email: jane.ward@dementiafriendlyhampshire.org.uk

Website: dementiafriendlyhampshire.org.uk

Dementia Support - Hampshire & IOW

Dementia Support - Hampshire & IOW provides free emotional support, information and signposting to anyone and everyone living with dementia in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Helpline is available Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm.

Tel: 0344 324 6589

Email: support@mydementiasupport.org

Website: www.mydementiasupport.org

Facebook: www.facebook.com/DementiaSupportHampshireIOW

Dementia UK

Dementia UK provides specialist expert advice for families living with dementia through their helpline.

Tel: 0800 888 6678

Email: info@dementiauk.org

Website: www.dementiauk.org

Hampshire Neurological Alliance

The Hampshire Neurological Alliance is an organisation providing information, support, advice and advocacy to people with neurological conditions. There are over 140 neurological conditions, including Alzheimer's, Autism, Bells Palsy, Brain injury, Cerebral Palsy, Huntington's Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinson's and Stroke.

Tel: 07847 794937

Email: contact@hampshireneural.org.uk

Website: www.hampshireneural.org.uk

Hayling Island Community Centre

Local venue that supports and provides community activities on Hayling Island for people of all ages, abilities and interests.

The Hayling Island Community Centre is home to many clubs and groups including Bridge, short mat bowls, Zumba, table tennis, badminton, drawing & painting, Tai Chi, yoga, Latin & Ballroom dancing, WI and Memory Cafe.

The Community Centre Pantry, access is through membership, members make a contribution of £5 per visit.

Tel: 023 9246 7545

Email: enquiries@hicca.co.uk

Website: hicca.co.uk

My Home Helper

Online, digital memory aid and communication device for people living with cognitive impairments such as Dementia.

The simple to use tablet computer doesn't need any interaction from the user, all the features simply appear without them having to touch or press anything. The device can be maintained from wherever you are via the myhomehelper website.

Features include calendar clock, diary, reminders, auto-answer video calling, photos, news, messages, talking text and more.

Please note that charges apply - see website for details.

Tel: 01482 217285

Email: info@myhomehelper.co.uk

Website: www.myhomehelper.co.uk

Recapture Life CIC

Recapture Life CIC was set up for people with mild to moderate dementia and their friends and families. We provide 3- and 1-hour groups for people with dementia, which gives their carers an opportunity for respite. Through these groups we offer Cognitive Stimulation Therapy which can slow the progression of dementia. They are fun, stimulating groups that also aim to prevent social isolation.

Please note that charges may apply - please contact service for more information.

Tel: 07821 666480

Email: lesley@recapturelife.co.uk

Website: www.recapturelife.co.uk

Solent Mind

Registered charity providing a wide range of high-quality services to support people with mental health problems across the Southern Region.

Tel: 023 8202 7810

Email: info@solentmind.org.uk

Website: www.solentmind.org.uk

Royal Air Force Association

The Royal Air Force Association is the charity that supports the RAF family. The Dementia Support Hub is for carers who are serving RAF personnel.

Tel: 0800 018 2361

Email: info@solentmind.org.uk

Website: rafa.org.uk

Get Up and Go East Hampshire

New range of exciting physical activity sessions are coming soon to the East Hampshire district. Open to residents of East Hampshire who are living with a physical or mental health condition and their friends and family. We want anybody who feels they might benefit from these activities to join in, so go on, get up and go enjoy something new.

Activities to include tai chi, yoga, Pilates, Zumba God and dementia friendly walking football.

Email: info@getupandgoeasthants.com

Website: www.getupandgoeasthants.com

Winton House Centre

The Winton House Centre provides services and facilities for the local community, particularly older people, in the interests of improving quality of life. We do this by offering a variety of services to reduce social isolation, to make it easy for people to access local information and resources. We tend to focus on the needs of older people, but Winton House is here for everyone. Regular activities include: memory cafe, over-65s outings and bingo.

Tel: 01730 266046

Email: infodesk@wintonhousecentre.org.uk

Website: wintonhousecentre.org.uk

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in Hampshire is part of a network of 144 Carer Centres in the UK. The network is co-ordinated by The Carers Trust (formally PRTC).

The work we do is varied and is tailored to the needs of each individual carer. Our focus is on giving carers accurate and up-to-date information on anything from disability aids to benefits claims as well as emotional support. We also run special support groups, act as carers’ advocates, liaise with Social Services, GPs, hospitals and the Benefits Agency amongst others and offer free counselling to carers by way of qualified voluntary counsellors.

All of our services are completely confidential and free of charge.

The work we do is varied and is tailored to the needs of each individual carer.

Our service includes:

  • Information, advice and guidance
  • Advocacy and representation
  • Liaison with statutory bodies
  • Access to training and education
  • Support groups
  • Carer's clinics
  • Carer's hubs
  • Opportunities for respite
  • Regular support groups
  • Free counselling by way of voluntary qualified counsellors
  • Regular newsletters
  • A listening ear
  • Emergency Planning for Carers

Tel: 0800 169 1577

Email: info@carecentre.com

Website: carercentre.com


We use cookies to provide a better experience on our site. By continuing to browse our website, you consent to our use of cookies.

Our cookie policy is available here.

Consider the range of services available to you and use the NHS responsibly.

Be prepared to care for yourself with a well-stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

  • cough or cold
  • upset stomach
  • pain or headache
  • cuts and grazes
  • sore throat (but if for two weeks or more contact your GP)

For health advice, visit nhs.uk.

Your local Pharmacist is a trained medicine expert who can dispense and advise you on the safe use of prescription, repeat prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Most pharmacies are open until late and at weekends, and they all have a private area where you can talk to a Pharmacist in confidence. You don’t need to book an appointment to see a Pharmacist.

  • Ask for advice on ailments, medicines and healthier living
  • Queries about medication, dosage, type or suitability plus urgent requests or if related to hospital discharge
  • repeat prescription
  • sore eyes (but if persists go to optician)
  • runny nose
  • diarrhoea
  • bite or sting

GPs deal with a whole range of health problems including:

  • Conditions that can't be treated with over the counter medication or advice from a Pharmacist
  • Coughs lasting more than three weeks
  • New moles appearing or existing moles changing shape, size or colour

They also provide health education, offer advice on smoking and diet, run clinics, give vaccinations and carry out simple surgical operations. A range of health care professionals work at GP practices, including GPs, nurses, healthcare assistants, practice managers, receptionists and other staff. Practices also work closely with health visitors, midwives, mental health services and social care services. If the health professional you see cannot deal with a problem, then you’ll usually be referred to a hospital for tests, treatment, or to see a consultant with specialist knowledge.

NHS 111 is there for you when you have a healthcare need that is not life threatening. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

  • If you think you need to go to hospital
  • If you don’t know the most suitable place to go or call
  • If you don’t have a GP to call or if your GP practice is closed
  • If you need advice or reassurance about what to do

Available 24 hours a day, every day. Click here for NHS 111 online.

If you have a non-life-threatening illness or injury, there are lots of ways you can access advice and care without going to an Emergency Department. This allows emergency staff to concentrate on people with serious, life-threatening conditions and will save you a potentially long wait. Visit for same day, urgent, minor injuries or illness when your GP practice is unavailable, such as such as sprains and suspected broken bones

  • fractures and lacerations
  • insect and animal bites
  • stitches (sutures)
  • dressing care
  • minor cuts and bruises
  • minor burns and strains

Emergency department or call 999. Only for very serious or life-threatening situations. If you are unsure, call NHS 111.

Click here to find out when to call 999.