The Bereavement Counselling Charity

We aim to provide free bereavement counselling to all ages living within the Petersfield, Horndean, Waterlooville, Cosham, Havant, Emsworth and Hayling Island areas. Counselling gives time and space for someone to express their feelings in a safe and accepting environment. Exploring a person's reactions to bereavement often helps to bring a clearer understanding and enable them to live with their loss. We offer individual counselling to adults in their own homes. Our service is free, confidential, and provided by trained counsellors.

Tel: 07827 491902 (Adults service)



Cruse Bereavement Care

Promote wellbeing of bereaved people, provide free care information advice and support.

Tel: 0844 477 9400



The Bereavement Care

A leading bereavement organisation in the South of England, offering face-to-face, telephone, Skype and online support. We offer free bereavement support and advice to people in Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Berkshire, Surrey, West Sussex and East Sussex.

Tel: 07395 790372



GOV.UK: What to do when someone dies

Check what to do after a death – how to register the death, notify government departments and deal with the estate, dealing with wills, tax and inheritance and get help and support.


The Good Grief Trust

We're so sorry you had to find us, but we want you to know that you're not alone and we will try our best to guide you in the right direction. We offer our heartfelt condolences to anyone who has suffered a bereavement under any circumstance.

All of us at The Good Grief Trust have lost someone we love, so we want to help you find the support you need as quickly as possible. You will find stories from others who have had a similar loss, practical and emotional support and signposting to a choice of immediate tailored local and national support on each of our pages.


NHS – Grief after bereavement or loss

Most people experience grief when they lose something or someone important to them. If these feelings are affecting your life, there are things you can try that may help.


NHS Help is at hand guide

Support after someone may have dies by suicide.

PDF: Click here

AAFDA Advocacy After Fatal Domestic Abuse

We draw on our personal and professional experience of major criminal justice processes like Domestic Homicide Reviews, and other related inquiries and provide emotional, practical and specialist peer support to those left behind after fatal domestic homicide.

Tel: 07887 488464



Bereavement Advice Service

There are many practical matters to attend to when someone dies. Bereavement Advice Centre supports and advises people on what they need to do after death.



Brake is a provider of support services to people who have been bereaved or seriously injured in a road crash, as well as the family, friends and professionals supporting them.

Tel: 0808 8000 401



Child Death Helpline

A dedicated helpline that offers support to anyone affected by the death of a child of any age, under any circumstances however recent or long ago.

Tel: 0800 282986


The Compassionate Friends

A charitable organisation of bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents dedicated to the support and care of other similarly bereaved family members who have suffered the death of a child or children of any age and from any cause.

Tel: 0345 123 2304



The Coroners' Courts Support Service

An independent voluntary organisation whose trained volunteers offer emotional support and practical help to bereaved families, witnesses and others attending an inquest at a coroner's court.

Tel: 0300 111 2141




We use cookies to provide a better experience on our site. By continuing to browse our website, you consent to our use of cookies.

Our cookie policy is available here.

Consider the range of services available to you and use the NHS responsibly.

Be prepared to care for yourself with a well-stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

  • cough or cold
  • upset stomach
  • pain or headache
  • cuts and grazes
  • sore throat (but if for two weeks or more contact your GP)

For health advice, visit

Your local Pharmacist is a trained medicine expert who can dispense and advise you on the safe use of prescription, repeat prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Most pharmacies are open until late and at weekends, and they all have a private area where you can talk to a Pharmacist in confidence. You don’t need to book an appointment to see a Pharmacist.

  • Ask for advice on ailments, medicines and healthier living
  • Queries about medication, dosage, type or suitability plus urgent requests or if related to hospital discharge
  • repeat prescription
  • sore eyes (but if persists go to optician)
  • runny nose
  • diarrhoea
  • bite or sting

GPs deal with a whole range of health problems including:

  • Conditions that can't be treated with over the counter medication or advice from a Pharmacist
  • Coughs lasting more than three weeks
  • New moles appearing or existing moles changing shape, size or colour

They also provide health education, offer advice on smoking and diet, run clinics, give vaccinations and carry out simple surgical operations. A range of health care professionals work at GP practices, including GPs, nurses, healthcare assistants, practice managers, receptionists and other staff. Practices also work closely with health visitors, midwives, mental health services and social care services. If the health professional you see cannot deal with a problem, then you’ll usually be referred to a hospital for tests, treatment, or to see a consultant with specialist knowledge.

NHS 111 is there for you when you have a healthcare need that is not life threatening. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

  • If you think you need to go to hospital
  • If you don’t know the most suitable place to go or call
  • If you don’t have a GP to call or if your GP practice is closed
  • If you need advice or reassurance about what to do

Available 24 hours a day, every day. Click here for NHS 111 online.

If you have a non-life-threatening illness or injury, there are lots of ways you can access advice and care without going to an Emergency Department. This allows emergency staff to concentrate on people with serious, life-threatening conditions and will save you a potentially long wait. Visit for same day, urgent, minor injuries or illness when your GP practice is unavailable, such as such as sprains and suspected broken bones

  • fractures and lacerations
  • insect and animal bites
  • stitches (sutures)
  • dressing care
  • minor cuts and bruises
  • minor burns and strains

Emergency department or call 999. Only for very serious or life-threatening situations. If you are unsure, call NHS 111.

Click here to find out when to call 999.